Your eyes decide how you see the world. And in today’s world, our eyes are under constant strain owing to the consistent exposure to screens around us. Whether it’s our phone screens that we scroll endlessly on or the laptop screens that we work on or the TV screens that we watch our favourite shows on, our eyes take a beating because of the glare and blue light emitted by these screens.
A large scale survey conducted throughout India, published by Statista, showed that 6% of the respondents experienced watery eyes. Prolonged exposure to screens can cause watery eyes, eye dryness, strain, headaches and impaired vision. Wearing glasses or lenses might help reduce the impact, but not everyone’s a fan of wearing glasses and using lenses also come with a host of challenges.
Hence, it becomes super important to make use of eye care tips. Some of the very simple tips include reducing screen time, looking away from the screen when you’re spending long hours working on a device, maintaining a healthy diet and making regular visits to the eye doctor.
You can also use exercises to improve eyesight, such as following the 20-20-20 rule and looking at a blank wall about 10 feet ahead of you and tracing the number 8 with your eyes. More on these exercises to improve eyesight later!
Other ways to retain your eyesight include making small lifestyle changes with eye care tips such as wearing sunglasses when you’re out in the sun, avoiding smoking, getting regular eye check-ups and eating wholesome meals. And if you’re wondering ‘Are carrots good for eyes?’, they sure are!
How to Improve Your Vision?
A common doubt when it comes to eyesight is can I improve my vision? The answer is yes, you can improve your eyesight with a combination of natural methods and glasses/lenses (if needed).
The quality of our eyesight is determined by the amount of pressure we put on our eyes. Long hours of working on a screen and poor lifestyle habits all have a negative impact. Following basic eye health tips such as taking a break from a screen every now and then, using blue-light blockers on your screens and maintaining a healthy distance from a screen answer the question of how to improve your eyesight when you have glasses.
These eye health tips work even if you don’t have glasses and prevent you from developing symptoms such as blurry vision and frequent headaches.
Drinking plenty of water, eating balanced meals and getting enough physical exercise also contribute towards protecting your eyes and improving your vision.
Different Ways to Improve Eyesight
Fret not, there are numerous ways to improve eyesight. From exercises to improve eyesight to diet for eyesight improvement, here are some of the best eye health tips for complete eye care -
- Reduce Screen Time: How to improve your eyesight when you have glasses? Well, this is how. This is difficult in today’s time and age, but it’s a must. Try to limit your screen time, especially right after you wake up and before going to bed. Go about business as usual during your working hours but try to turn off all screens an hour before bed and an hour after you wake up to protect your eyes from the glare and blue light emissions.
- Eat Healthy: Getting the right vitamins and minerals is an important step of complete eye care. Eat a diet filled with fresh fruits and leafy vegetables and steer clear of processed food. Some of the best vitamins for eye health are Vitamin A, C and E, which are found in carrots, citrus fruits and nuts.
- Use Sunglasses: These have a double benefit - not only do you look cool but they also help in protecting your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Sunglasses prevent cataracts as well as macular degeneration and keep your eyes safe and is one of the easiest ways to improve eyesight.
Try out our Eye Being Capsule for the best dry eye treatment, UV protection, and relief from digital eye strain. It is packed with all of the necessary nutrients.
- Exercise Regularly: Keeping yourself fit helps your body fight the onset of health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, which damage your eyes. Staying fit regulates the blood sugar levels in your body and also helps in keeping your weight in check, which thereby reduces your risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
- Don’t Smoke: Wondering how to improve vision? Stop smoking. Smoking harms your entire body, but it is also known to cause long-term damage to your eyes. Smoking does your body, including your heart and lungs, no good and largely increases the risk of eye diseases such as cataracts
Exercises and Some Best Foods for Eye Health
A balanced diet along with exercises to improve eyesight can take you a long way. Some of the common exercises to improve eyesight include -
20-20-20: This is one of the easiest techniques to give your eyes a break. For every 20 minutes you look at a screen, take a breather and look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This takes away the strain of constant screen exposure and gives your eyes a short break.
Focus Exercise: In this, you shift focus from a nearby object to an object that is far away and vice versa. For example, you can place a glass about 15 inches away from you and look at it for 20 seconds before shifting focus to a far-off object that’s about 10 feet away. You then bring the focus back to the glass and repeat this a few times.
- Draw an 8: This is one of those easy eye care tips at home. Pick a blank wall in front of you and trace the number 8 with your eyes. This basically rotates your eyeballs all around the socket and helps in relieving built-up stress in the eyes.
Having taken a look at different eye care tips and the exercises to improve eyesight, let’s delve into what an ideal diet for eyesight improvement would contain -
Carrots: Are carrots good for eyes? These orange vegetables are some of the best foods for eye health! They’re packed with vitamin A and keep your eyes healthy and safe.
Almonds: These nuts are rich in Vitamin E, which helps in preventing macular degeneration and cataracts. Include a few almonds in your daily diet but keep a watch on the portion because they’re high in calories.
Fish: These are one of the absolute best foods for eye health. Salmon, in particular, is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which help in overall eye health.
Dairy and Eggs: They’re both full of vitamin A and zinc, both of which are essential for eye health. Further, zinc also helps see at night and is very useful in avoiding night blindness.
- Citrus Fruits: Oranges, grapefruit and lemons are some fruits good for eyesight. All citrus fruits are good for eyesight as vitamin C ensures the blood vessels in your eyes are in top shape.
Try our Green Matters capsules, which meet your body's needs for over 16 vital immunity- and metabolism-boosting superfoods.
Eye Care Tips: Key Takeaways
It’s hard to tune out from our many devices in today’s world, but we need to make the effort to keep our eyes healthy. Long hours of exposure to screens can cause eye dryness, headaches, dizziness and impaired vision.
You can improve your eyesight with a combination of natural and corrective measures. Natural methods include eating more fresh food, working out regularly, avoiding smoking and managing existing conditions. Corrective measures include using glasses and lenses to improve eyesight.
With a range of exercises, eye care tips and healthy foods, you can restore your eye health and protect your eyes from constant exposure to screens. It may sound a tad tedious, but these are tiny changes you’ll need to make to keep your eyes healthy.