Indian summers filled with heat waves, midsummer rains and hot wind that we learned was called loo in the 8th grade. Besides, Indian summers are just getting hotter (Source). This makes summer healthcare extremely important. It is a lengthy season that stretches from April to June, a good 3 months! May, especially, comes with scorching heat. It is thus very important to know how to stay hydrated in summer. Extreme temperatures and dry conditions lead to health problems because of excess sweating, which eliminates salt and minerals from the body, dehydrating it. Don’t worry! We have a selection of tips for a safe summer.
What kind of health hazards require summer health tips?
- Dehydration - why staying hydrated in summer is super important!
- Sunburns - how to remove suntan and other summer skin care needs.
- Digestive disorders - summer nutrition tips to arm you with a healthy diet for summer season fun!
- Prickly heat - stay cool and comfortable with health tips for summer season.
- Diseases like cold and flu - A cold? During summer? More than possible! Stay aware and safe with summer health care tips for a healthy summer.
Summer Health Tips 1: How to stay hydrated in summer!
Generally, drink 2-3 litres of water everyday and try seasonal fruit juices. Also consider antioxidant rich berries for hydration!
Pick room temperature water, preferably boiled and cooled to avoid water borne diseases. Here’s how it works for the body (Source)
- Breaks down food easily and enhances digestion
- Removes toxins from the body
- Aids in proper bowel movements
- Helps prevent bloating
Here’s another tip for staying hydrated in summer while working with summer aesthetics! Invest in clay-jugs or containers to naturally cool water down to an optimal temperature for a refreshing drink!
Summer Health Tips 2: Diet for summer
Here are some summer nutrition tips for a healthy summer!
- Include plenty of fruit and vegetable salads that keep your tummy full and replenish the vitamins and minerals that you would’ve sweat off.
Tip: Add salad-dressings to really tie in that summer feel! Mix and match flavour profiles with mango-habanero, honey-mustard and orange-lime!
- Include more of a liquid diet along with the seasonal fruits and vegetables for that double-edged hydration.
Tip: Include more green juices, yoghurt, porridge, smoothies, etc.
- Avoid spicy and oily foods that generate body heat and cause excess sweating and a burning sensation in the stomach.
Tip: Opt for a limited amount of fresh green chilies or dried red chilies.
- Buttermilk! Our grandmothers knew what they were doing with these delicious post meal coolers. You can never go wrong with this staple summer drink.
Tip: Try jeera water as well! Boil water and add a few seeds of jeera. Boil for 2 more minutes and then cool to room temperature and drink throughout the day. Aids digestion and flushing toxins from the body.
Summer Health Tips 3: Summer Skincare
You can’t avoid going out in the summer! But it is extremely important to take care of yourself. Here are a few general tips for a safe summer outdoors -
- Opt for cotton fabric clothes which are breathable and absorb sweat. Light colours work best!
- Avoid exercise and exertion in peak sun.
- Take cool showers to remove dirt, microbes, excess oil on skin and to keep you fresh. Cold showers do wonders for the skin and are great for muscle recovery and mental alertness!
Specific summer health tips for skin care -
1. Regular Oil Bath
Oil (gingelly oil, olive oil) absorbs through the fine pores on the skin, that helps hydrate the skin, prevents heat boils, gives a moisturising effect and cools the body throughout the day. When applied to the scalp, it helps in strengthening the hair roots, prevents hair loss and helps in hair growth (Source). This tip also answers the question on how to remove suntan!
On the daily, take an adequate portion of sunscreen lotion and apply to the face, hands & feet. It can help prevent sun damage which can have a harsh, sometimes irreversible impact on your skin and body.
Try The Co Being On the Go Travel Sunscreen (SPF-30|PA++) for protection from the sun with ease!
3. Regular Face Wash
Exposure to the harsh sun causes excess sweating and our skin attracts dust and pollution which clogs skin pores. Washing your face regularly with an antioxidant rich wash keeps your skin fresh and hydrated all summer.
Try The Co Being Keep It Fresh face wash curated with our potent Gemmotherapy active Blackcurrant bud rich in antioxidants to help protect your skin from damage.
Applying a suitable day cream helps hydrate the skin, enhances complexion and prevents the effects of harmful UV rays. Choose a cream with licorice and berry extracts that are rich in antioxidants to boost skin radiance.
Try the Day Care Cream with SPF 30 | PA++.
5. Home-made Ayurvedic Face Pack for Summer Goodness
- With Papaya - Take a few pieces of papaya and crush it to fine paste and apply evenly on the skin. Gives an even skin tone and enhances skin function.
- With Sandalwood - Take a spoon of sandalwood powder, mix with rose-water and make it as a smooth paste and apply to the skin. Protects from the heat and gives fresh and glowing skin
- With Curd and turmeric - Take a spoon of curd, add a pinch of turmeric, mix it and apply to the face. This face pack for summer helps cure pimples, moisturises the face and brightens the skin.
Summer Health Tips 4: Summer healthcare with exercise
Do your regular exercises early-morning or in the evening. Make sure to include yoga by inculcating the Surya Namaskar and Pranayama into your daily routines! Nadi suddhi pranayama, Jala mudra and Prana mudra promote proper prana flow and reduce body heat.
Summer Health Tips 5: Monitor people at risk
Below are the categories of people that are more sensitive to heat-related illnesses, at a higher risk of experiencing dehydration, excessive sweating, fluid loss, and heatstroke.
- Infants, young children
- People aged 65 years and above
- People that are obese
- People under medical supervision
- Indian summers are harsh and can lead to various health hazards such as dehydration, sunburns, digestive disorders, prickly heat, and waterborne diseases.
- Drink boiled and cooled water to avoid waterborne diseases and benefit from improved digestion, toxin removal, and proper bowel movements.
- Follow a diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, salads, liquids, sprouts, and yoghurt. Avoid spicy and oily foods.
- Home-made Ayurvedica face packs for summer using ingredients like papaya, sandalwood, curd, and turmeric can help improve skin tone, prevent heat-related issues, and provide a fresh and glowing complexion.
- Engage in regular exercise, yoga and pranayama during cooler times of the day to reduce body heat and stay fit during the summer.
“Prevention is Better than Cure” like the saying, don't let summer get under your skin with these summer health tips. - Try out The Co Being HAIR & SKIN WELLNESS Products Today! Say Goodbye to Sunburns and Hello to Healthy, Glowing Skin! Get Your Summer Glow On!"